Jeg gjør som Astrid Terese og Julie og lager en julegaveønskeliste. I tilfelle noen som faktisk har planer om å kjøpe julegave til meg leser dette kan jeg nevne at bøkene kan kjøpes hos bookdepository.co.uk =)
Topp ti julegaveønsker
1. Charles Dickens: Jeg mangler fremdeles noen få bøker av Dickens før samlingen min er komplett. Dermed ønsker jeg meg Bleak House, Dombey and Son og Little Dorrit. De svarte Penguin-utgavene eller Vintage-utgavene er å foretrekke.
2. Wildwood av Colin Meloy: "Prue McKeel’s life is ordinary. At least until her brother is abducted by a murder of crows and taken to the Impassable Wilderness, a dense, tangled forest on the edge of Portland. No one’s ever gone in – or at least returned to tell of it. So begins an adventure that will take Prue and her friend, Curtis, deep into the Impassable Wilderness. There they uncover a secret world in the midst of violent upheaval—a world full of warring creatures, peaceable mystics, and powerful figures with the darkest intentions. And what begins as a rescue mission becomes something much greater, as the two friends find themselves entwined in a struggle for the very freedom of this wilderness. A wilderness the locals call Wildwood." (Amazon)
3. Death Comes to Pemberly av P.D. James: "The year is 1803, and Darcy and Elizabeth have been married for six years. There are now two handsome and healthy sons in the nursery, Elizabeth's beloved sister Jane and her husband Bingley live nearby and the orderly world of Pemberley seems unassailable. But all this is threatened when, on the eve of the annual autumn ball, the guests are preparing to retire for the night when a chaise appears, rocking down the path from Pemberley's wild woodland. As it pulls up, Lydia Wickham - Elizabeth's younger, unreliable sister - stumbles out screaming that her husband has been murdered." (Bookdepository)
4. Austerlitz av W.G. Sebald: "In the summer of 1939, five-year-old Jacques Austerlitz is sent to England on one of the Kindertransports and placed with foster parents in Wales. For reasons of their own, the childless Calvinist couple erase from the boy all knowledge of his identity. Throughout his life Austerlitz is haunted by feelings of otherness, but it is not until retirement that he embarks on a journey to make sense of his curious early memories and explores what happened to him half a century ago." (Bookdepository)
5. Vanity Fair av W.M. Thackeray: "No one is better equipped in the struggle for wealth and worldly success than the alluring and ruthless Becky Sharp, who defies her impoverished background to clamber up the class ladder. Her sentimental companion Amelia, however, longs only for caddish soldier George. As the two heroines make their way through the tawdry glamor of Regency society, battles - military and domestic - are fought, fortunes made and lost." (Bookdepository)
6. The Bridge Over Drina av Ivo Andric: "The Bridge on the Drina is a vivid depiction of the suffering history has imposed upon the people of Bosnia from the late 16th century to the beginning of World War I. As we seek to make sense of the current nightmare in this region, this remarkable, timely book serves as a reliable guide to its people and history." (Amazon)
7. Terry Pratchett: Jeg har lest hans seks første i Discworld-serien og har fremdeles tre i bokhyllen som jeg ikke har lest. Men når jeg først begynner går det fort unna, så jeg ønsker meg enda flere. Nærmere bestemt Moving Pictures, Reaper Man, Witches Abroad, Small Gods og Lords and Ladies.
8. 11/22/63 av Stephen King: "WHAT IF you could go back in time and change the course of history? WHAT IF the watershed moment you could change was the JFK assassination? 11/22/63, the date that Kennedy was shot - unless ...King takes his protagonist Jake Epping, a high school English teacher from Lisbon Falls, Maine, 2011, on a fascinating journey back to 1958 - from a world of mobile phones and iPods to a new world of Elvis and JFK, of Plymouth Fury cars and Lindy Hopping, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake's life - a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time." (Bookdepository)
9. The House of Seven Gables av Nathaniel Hawthorne: "This enduring novel of crime and retribution vividly reflects the social and moral values of New England in the 1840s. Nathaniel Hawthorne's gripping psychological drama concerns the Pyncheon family, a dynasty founded on pious theft, who live for generations under a dead man's curse until their house is finally exorcised by love. Hawthorne, by birth and education, was instilled with the Puritan belief in America's limitless promise. Yet - in part because of blemishes on his own family history - he also saw the darker side of the young nation." (Bookdepository)
10. Under the Volcano av Malcolm Lowry: "It is the Day of the Dead. The fiesta in full swing. In the shadow of Popocatepeti ragged children beg coins to buy skulls made of chocolate...and the ugly pariah dogs roam the streets. Geoffrey Firmin, HM ex-consul, is drowning himself in liquor and Mescal, while his ex-wife and half brother look on powerless to help him. As the day wears on, it becomes apparent that Geoffrey must die. It is his only escape from a world he cannot understand." (Bookdepository)
Tanker om bok - Tore Rem: Knut Hamsun - Reisen til Hitler
for 21 minutter siden